How to use electric paint sprayer on interior walls and ceilings? You do not need to be an expert. Read this article carefully and find the solution yourself.
How to paint with an electric spray gun?
To get the best possible result, you should prepare the walls and ceiling. Remove all debris, dust, and any fragments of old plaster that can be traced with a spatula from their surface.
Then you should putty all the cracks and irregularities, and after drying the putty, cover the entire working surface with a primer. Take out the furniture or cover it with plastic.
When working with the sprayer in the room, care should be taken to ensure that there are no drafts, high humidity is not allowed. In the open air, you can only work in calm, dry weather with air temperatures above zero.
An important point is the choice of paint. On the package, find a note that the composition can be used in conjunction with a spray gun. If you do not find such an indication, do not use this material, as this may cause damage to the sprayer.
Mix the paint thoroughly directly in the jar and pour the required amount into another container. If the paint has been standing for a long time and there are lumps in it, it should be filtered, since solid particles can clog the siphon tube.
In the next step, fill the paint composition in the tank of the device, filling it by two-thirds of the volume. Check whether the spray gun is set up correctly by spraying the paint on the newspaper.
All models of electric sprayers have three settings:
- The intensity of the total air supply. It allows you to balance the paint consumption and the form of its application. If it is necessary to achieve a moderate flow rate, then the adjusting screw should be screwed down.
- Separately, the flow of air entering the side jets is regulated. The surface area covered by the paint jet at the same time depends on this indicator: the stronger the air supply, the larger the area.
- The speed of the airflow supplied in the center determines the paint consumption. A separate screw is provided for its adjustment.
Attention! Before starting work, be sure to wear a respirator, glasses and protective clothing to protect the skin and respiratory organs from getting paint particles.
Progress of work
Observe the distance from the nozzle of the device to the working surface: it should be 15-20 cm. If this distance is less, then inevitably there will be drips, and at a large distance, some of the paint material will evaporate. For even coloring, hold the tool strictly perpendicular to the work surface. Try to move the sprayer without jerks, accelerations and decelerations – the speed should be the same all the time.
If you have to paint a wall, then start from the top and move horizontally and down, paying attention to the fact that each subsequent strip overlaps the previous one with the edge. For an ideal result, it is recommended to paint the walls and ceiling in three layers.
The spray gun is suitable for painting furniture and any wooden products. Wood is painted along the wood fibers: this technique allows you to preserve the natural pattern of the material.
Before starting the painting work, we prepare the tool itself and the room where the walls or ceiling will be painted.
Preparation of the room
Specialists in painting work recommend following the following rules:
- Providing high-quality ventilation in the room where work with the spray gun is planned. The airflow should be carried out in such a way that the aerosol smell and fine dust are carried away from the room as quickly as possible. You can use a large fan;
- The temperature regime is best observed in the range from 15 to 30°C, the percentage of humidity should not exceed 55%;
- In the room, it is important to ensure good lighting of the area that will be painted (often for such purposes, lamps with bright lighting are installed);
- Do not forget about the maximum protection from paint-walls (which are not planned to be painted), doors, windows and floors should be covered with plastic wrap, the painter himself should be wearing protective clothing, gloves and a respirator.
The surface of the walls and ceiling should also be ready for painting. Preparing them is identical to how the walls are prepared before pasting wallpaper, you can read more about this in this article.
Painting the walls
To paint the walls in the room with a spray gun qualitatively, you need to apply the paint in the direction from top to bottom. If it is physically impossible to draw a single line from the top edge of the ceiling to the floor, you can use scaffolding. Standing on the scaffolding, the upper part of the walls is painted from top to bottom, then the lower part (when the painter works standing on the floor).
The device is held at a distance of about 30 centimeters from the surface. The paint application speed should be the same throughout the entire process. This will allow you to get a uniform coating.
In order for the walls to be painted thoroughly, it is better to perform two approaches – paint the walls for the first time, then wait for the paint to dry and apply a second layer.
Painting the ceiling
The ceiling can be painted with a spray gun much faster than with a roller. Most of the time will be spent covering the walls, floor, windows and doors with a film.
The ceiling is painted at a distance of no more than 70 centimeters from the spray gun to the surface. The jet should be perpendicular, the device should not be tilted when applying paint. The paint lines are drawn parallel to the window line, with a slight overlap. The pace of work should be uniform, and you should not linger on the same site.
When the paint dries, apply a second layer of it for a high-quality finish result. We recommend watching a video in which the master shows the process of painting the ceiling with a spray gun:
Every time after the painting work, the spray gun must be washed. If the work was carried out with water-based paint, the device is washed with warm water, if oil with a solvent. To do this, the selected liquid is poured into the tank and sprayed.
Paint viscosity requirements
Too viscous paint does not fit well on the surface, does not fill in small cracks – as a result, all the work has to be redone. In some cases, an excessively thick mass can clog the internal parts of the spray gun, making it impossible to paint with it.
The other extreme is too liquid paint material, which will have to be applied in 4-5 layers, which will negatively affect the strength of the coating. To achieve the desired viscosity of the paint, you should go experimentally. Pour a little dye into the tank of the device and point the nozzle at the newspaper.
Ideally, the paint should pass through the nozzle without difficulty and form a fine aerosol. If it is sprayed with difficulty, and the drops are large, this indicates that the composition is too thick. Add the solvent to the tank at the rate of 5% of the amount of paint, mix and test again.
Continue to repeat the described procedure until the coloring composition begins to spray in the form of a uniform mist. If it is not possible to achieve uniform coloring, this may be due to the wrong choice of the spray gun nozzle. Most devices are equipped with several different nozzles.
If you will paint with nitroemal or alkyd paint, then a nozzle with a hole of 0.6 mm is suitable, when using alkyd mixtures-0.8 mm.
In the process of coloring, you may encounter the following situation. After applying the first layer, you will see a uniformly colored surface without gaps. But the second layer does not “want” to overlap evenly, and even bumps appear on it. This means that the paint has already thickened, so it should be diluted again and tested on the test area.
How to choose a solvent
To dilute the paint, it is advisable to use the solvent indicated on the package. If you do not have this information, then you need to select a solvent for the type of paint:
- Water-dispersion-distilled water.
- Oil-oil varnish, drying oil.
- Alkyd-P-4, toluene, xylene.
- Acrylic – P-651 or P-12.
- Nitroemal – P-646.
Application of the spray gun
The spray gun is a professional equipment for painting, which is used in the widest range of painting works. It is used to paint furniture, cars and yachts, house facades, walls and ceilings in the interior, doors and windows, ceramic products, plastic and much more.
The spray gun is filled with paint before working. When leaving the device, the paint is sprayed under high pressure in the form of tiny drops. The technology of the spray gun can be airless, combined and pneumatic (manual). The latter option is most suitable for novice painters, although such a device is more expensive.
Whitewash with a spray gun
Mixing the solution
Prepare the solution according to the instructions on the package. As in the case of paint, the formation of lumps is unacceptable, so you need to thoroughly mix the liquid. If the volume is large, then it is convenient to do this with a drill with a mixer nozzle.
Checking the equipment settings and the painting process look the same as when painting. After applying the first layer, which should be quite dense, change the settings of the device so that the lime ” fog ” becomes less dense. The second layer will be thinner: so the whitewash will last longer, and all the shortcomings of the first layer will be masked.
At the end of the work, the spray gun must be cleaned of any remaining paint or whitewash. Remove the tank and pour out the rest of the coloring composition, after which you need to pour in the solvent (for whitewashing water–based paints-water) and spray it with a spray gun.
This procedure will help you clean all the parts of the device. Special attention should be paid to cleaning the spray nozzle, which should be treated with a sponge with a solvent.
As you can see, working with a spray gun is not difficult. With a little practice, you will understand how it is done, and you will be able to paint any surface.
Currently, construction or repairs take less time than before. Since today’s construction markets have a rich selection of the latest equipment and devices for performing work.
Such tools include a spray gun. Such a device is gradually replacing rollers and brushes, and without a doubt it has a greater future.
But before you use it in your work, you must first familiarize yourself with the rules of how to use the spray gun.
Cleaning the spray gun after work
Having figured out how to properly paint with a pulevizer so that it is evenly distributed, and having carried out the required work, it remains to clean the device from the remnants of the material and postpone it until the next “combat” task occurs.
In order to maintain the performance of the tool and effectively use it in subsequent work, it is necessary to keep it clean. Since the paintwork has the property of drying out, clogging all possible holes, it must be removed as quickly as possible from the internal channels of the spray gun. It is quite simple to do this. You will need a solvent, a small container and a brush (preferably).
Painting large surfaces (walls or ceilings) is quite a time-consuming process, so it is not easy to perform it at a high level. Using a special tool-a spray gun will reduce the time for painting and get a neat, evenly painted surface.
In order for the result of the painting to be exactly like this, it is worth knowing how to paint correctly with a spray gun. We will tell you about the spray gun and the rules of working with it in more detail for those who plan to independently carry out such painting works.
How to choose an electric spray gun
Before choosing a spray gun, it is necessary to study the technical characteristics of modern spray guns. Current manufacturers produce two types of such equipment:
- not pneumatic.
Their technical features differ from each other. Pneumatic hand-held spray guns are equipped with a miniature compressor, thanks to which air is pumped into the vessel with the dye, and in the second device, the dye enters the nozzle using a pump without contact with the air. Professionals prefer spray guns with a built-in miniature compressor for better painting.
Here are models that do not have a compressor, they do not have such a function, in them the dye is broken in the nozzle due to the pressure of the piston pump.
Before purchasing a spray gun, it is important to consider what it is made of since most manufacturers use plastic in order to save money. Such devices are not durable and quickly fail.
Also, plastic parts do not have a long service life, due to the fact that they lose their working capacity under the influence of solvents and acetones, which are contained in some paints. But the nozzle of a simple spray gun is made of metal.
In principle, if the device is planned to be used for painting only with water-based emulsion, then in this case you can save money and buy a plastic model. But it is better not to save money and buy a universal model that can work with any type of paint.
In this regard, if painting is a means of income, then it is most practical to prefer a professional spray gun that will last for more than one year. Of course, its cost is much higher, but it will pay for itself in a short time.
Types of sprayers
Before you start working, you need to take care of the tool itself.
And first of all, it means to figure out what model we need.
- Manual spray guns belong to the category of the simplest. Most often they are used for spraying lime, but they can also work with water-based paint. They are driven by muscular force: first, we pump pressure into the cylinder, from which air enters directly into the rod with the nozzle and the control handle. The advantage is one-low price.
- Electric spray guns are much more compact and easy to handle. As a rule, their design includes the device itself, the pressure pump, a container with paint and a nozzle with a control valve. If you plan to perform repairs yourself, it is better to buy an electric spray gun.
- Pneumatic devices are classified as professional. They have a container for paint placed either on top or at the bottom of the pistol grip, on which a lever is installed to adjust the supply of pigment.
- The most cumbersome (and expensive) part of this system is the compressor. As a rule, it operates from the power grid and provides pressure injection up to 8-12 atmospheres.
Disadvantages of cheap devices
In the case when the device costs about $ 50, then probably its manufacturer is China. As such, cheap devices may not produce high-quality work, namely:
- do not apply the airflow correctly, which will lead to uneven spray paint;
- it may leak air in the wrong place and make a lot of noise.
Of course, any flaw can be corrected, but is it necessary? Taking into account all the nuances, it is recommended to purchase devices of well-known brands. For example, the company Bosch is very popular, of course the products of this company are not cheap, but the price will justify the quality.
Rules for the use and care of the spray gun
After the choice is made in favor of one or another device, you need to understand the rules of operation and use. There should be no difficulties when using it. First of all, you need to learn how to properly charge the dye, since the spray gun will not even be able to spray the paint evenly.
The paint should be used of a certain consistency, which can only be obtained after dilution with suitable solutions. To determine the viscosity, a special container must be supplied with the device, thanks to which it is possible to determine the consistency of the dye and the spray speed.
An important fact when spraying the composition is the exact selection of the nozzle. Also, any spray gun is equipped with replaceable nozzles for the nozzle, they are necessary for working with different types of paints. Thanks to these nozzles, you can achieve high-quality spraying. For example, the thicker the consistency, the larger the nozzle should be used.
Some nuances when applying paint compositions
- the paint is applied at a distance of 10-15 cm from the surface. If the nozzle is held closer, the dye will fall with streaks, and at a longer distance – the composition will volatilize into the air.
- when spraying paint, the movements should be slow and uniform, since the speed of the jet will depend on how evenly the paint will lie on the surface. The entire technological process of painting resembles shading, which is made from side to side and smoothly passes to the bottom. The paint should be laid strictly from top to bottom, as if on the contrary, then streaks and swellings are formed.
Also, for a greater effect when applying the paint composition, it is important to observe the direction of the jet-it is directed perpendicular to the surface.
Self-selection of viscosity
- The tank is filled with a precisely set amount of the mixture.
- The airflow and fluid flow are put on at maximum.
- The maximum width of the torch is set.
- A small experimental area is painted and the spray quality is checked.
- In the event that the paint is sprayed with large drops or is not sprayed properly, add 5% of the solvent to the barrel and repeat the painting again. This procedure must be repeated until the mixture is well sprayed by aerosol.
Also, you should test the undiluted paint and the working mixture by reducing the liquid flow and the width of the torch.
In the process, it is necessary to record the amount of solvent additions and when the limit is reached, record the proportions and the manufacturer.
Water-based paints can be diluted up to 10%, adding more water can reduce the coverage of the material.
Organic-based mixtures are usually diluted by about 50%. If the composition is not sprayed well after that, you should replace the paint nozzle with something that has a larger diameter, offered complete with another needle.
Using the spray gun
Using the tool for the first time is difficult to achieve the perfect application of the composition, even after studying the recommendations, but with experience comes an understanding of how to paint with a spray gun.
Before you start painting, you should determine a clear order in which the composition will be applied to the surface. The room or product should be divided into the corresponding zones “A”, “B” and “C”, in which zone ” A ” will be the most important area. The order of processing zones should be reversed to eliminate defects in the most critical area.
- The mistake of many novice masters is to press the trigger of the sprayer directly in front of the painted surface, so the composition falls unevenly. You need to click at the edge of the area to be painted.
- During the passage, the spray gun does not need to be tilted and moved in an arc, it should be constantly held at the same distance from the surface. at the same distance, without tilting it. In order for the coating to be uniform, it is necessary to move the tool at the same distance at a constant speed.
- Release the trigger only at the moment when the jet of the torch goes beyond the edge of the surface opposite to the beginning of the work;
- On vertical surfaces, the paint should be sprayed in a thin layer, performing several passes. The edge of the first lane is overlapped by the next one.
- When processing wooden products, the strips are applied in the direction of the wood fibers;
- The presence of defects is detected when examining the surface underside lighting. If an unpainted area is detected, it is immediately necessary to spray the paint composition on it, and the spray gun must be moved faster than with the base paint.
Setting up the spray gun
The airflow and fluid flow are regulated according to the following algorithm:
- Hang the sprayer strictly vertically above the newspaper and keep it at a standard distance from it;
- Press the trigger and hold it in this position until the paint stain does not appear streaks;
- Adjust the settings. Turn the air nozzle to form a fan-like flare and practice applying overlapping strips in different directions.
Possible problems when applying paint and ways to solve them
- The appearance of streaks on the edges of the spot. This is due to the fact that the airflow is excessive in relation to the liquid flow. You need to reduce the airflow or use a more viscous composition.
- The appearance of streaks under the middle of the painted spot occurs due to the fact that the liquid flow is excessive. You need to use a needle and reduce the flow of liquid through the nozzle.
- A spot of light paint looks dusty. This is due to the formation of a composition that is too viscous for spraying. Add a little diluent to the tank.
Painting the walls with water-based paint using a spray gun
The main enemies of water-based paint are low temperature and high humidity, so before you start painting the walls, you should definitely check the room for compliance with the optimal parameters. In particular:
- The temperature should be in the range of +10° to +30 degrees;
- Complete absence of drafts;
- The room is well ventilated;
- Humidity is not higher than 70 %.
- The tool must be filled only with the paint that is intended for application in this way.
- The composition should be applied smoothly, but in a fairly fast and non-stop manner
- Spraying is carried out in the direction from left to right or from top to bottom;
- The distance from the wall when applying paint should be 300 mm. It is necessary to regularly monitor the level of liquid in the barrel.
- Before placing the paint in the tank, it must be filtered, it must be liquid and homogeneous.
- The paint layers should completely overlap each other. Each new layer is applied after the previous one has completely dried.
- If the first layer was applied from left to right, the next layer should be applied from top to bottom.
Painting the ceiling with a spray gun
The use of a spray gun provides a higher quality of painting than brushes and rollers.
Using a spray gun to apply paint to the ceiling, you must adhere to the following rules.
- In order for the composition to be evenly distributed over the surface, the length of the jet released by the tool should be constant, the distance from the spray gun to the ceiling should not exceed 700 mm.
- Painting is done perpendicular to the ceiling.
- The entire surface must be painted at the same pace in a circular motion.
- You can’t stay in one area for too long.
Proper care of the device
In order for the spray gun to last for more than one year, it needs care. To do this, it is recommended to clean it from the remaining paint after each work. Cleaning consists of the following actions:
- first of all, you need to remove the bowl for coloring compositions, from which the unused residues are drained, after which you need to pour the solvent into it and install it in its original place. Next, you need to shake the container for cleaning for about 2 minutes and drain the solvent and fill it again.
- spray briefly to flush the inside of the device. It is especially important to wipe the nozzle with a rag soaked in solvent.
In addition to the usual spray gun, there is also an airbrush. The principle of its operation is not different, but there is a difference in the size and scope of application. So if standard devices are used for painting on a large scale, for example, houses, garages, equipment and other large objects, where special care is not needed.
But the airbrush was invented for jewelry work, its dimensions are very small and it is equipped with a convenient handle that it was convenient to hold and cope with fine work. Such a device has found its application for use in the painting of cars.
Spray gun design and classification
The spray gun is used not only for coating any surfaces, the simplest models can be found in the hands of a summer resident right on the beds. Indeed, the principle of operation of the spray gun allows you to conveniently spray bushes and trees.
But these are the most primitive manual types of devices, but technologically complex tools are used in more serious areas, such as construction or mechanical engineering. Let’s analyze the main classes into which these devices can be divided.
According to the type of drive, you can call manual and electric, and according to the method of spraying – airless, pneumatic and combined. They are also distinguished by the technology of torch formation, there are HP, HVLP, LVLP. The device of a hand-held spray gun is easy to master, there are all the nodes in sight, and their purpose is quite clear.
The electric power is converted to pneumatic, which causes the composition to be applied under pressure to the surface to be painted, and you can control the spray mode using the regulator.
The technology of forming the torch depends on the action of the compressor, without which a normal pneumatic device cannot do. HP is the oldest of the devices, uses high pressure, from this the spray shape is blurred, half of the paint is sprayed into the air, bouncing off the wall, its efficiency is 35 %.
Adjusting the spray gun of this type of device will not save the situation in any way. The HVLV operates under a plentiful flow of low-pressure air, the spray shape is clearer, the working efficiency is 65 %, less fog, more economical consumption.
Principles of airbrush operation
Such a hand-held device is connected by means of a hose of a suitable diameter to a vacuum cleaner or to a mine blower. Thanks to this, a small object is covered. Basically, the complete set with the airbrush pulverizer includes two nozzles necessary for working with flat and round torches.
Here is a pneumatic gun for airbrushing is in great demand than a manual model. The gun sprays the paint by splitting it into fine particles with compressed air, thanks to which they are formed into a torch.
Also, the kit should include nozzles of different diameters, which are easy to choose for the desired composition of the coloring agent, taking into account the consistency. This airbrush also includes a container for paint.
- first of all, high-quality air ventilation must be provided;
- the flow of it should be formed from the back, flow around the painting object and carry away the smell and dust of the paint;
- in the case when the work is carried out in the open air, it is important to choose a shaded area, without wind access, in order to avoid the deposition of debris and dirt;
- it is important to monitor the indicators of the hygrometer and thermometer;
- work is recommended to be carried out at a temperature of up to plus 30 degrees and it is important to observe humidity up to 55 %;
- during the conversion of the room for painting works, an important point is to install the fan in front of the window or door opening;
- it is necessary to provide bright light, for the convenience of controlling the spray paint;
- the product to be painted must be accessible from all sides.
Painting works are quite a common part of construction, repair and restoration activities that almost anyone faces. Technologically, there is nothing complicated in the painting itself, but it is quite a troublesome process.
Especially if you do the work with a conventional tool in the form of a brush with a roller. Just to simplify paint and varnish operations, a spray gun was invented. This device is now widely used in private farms and workshops.
But, to get a good result, you should learn how to work with this tool. How to use the spray gun? To understand this issue, you need to step by step, considering every nuance of the operation of the device.
What should I know about the design of the device?
There are different models of spray guns, which differ in the method of feeding and the principle of operation. In the future, the nuances of the operation of electric and pneumatic devices will be considered, but for now, it is worth getting acquainted with their general device. Regardless of the power base, all spray guns have the following elements in their design:
- The tank. Paint tank.
- Housing provided with a handle and trigger.
- The nozzle. The nozzle that sprays the mixture.
- Elements of regulation of paint supply parameters.
- Inlet fitting. Connecting element for connecting the tank to the machine.
Now you can go to the question of how to use a spray gun with a standard design. The operator is required to first perform preparatory work, then refuel with the adjustment of the tool, and then use the trigger to apply the mixture to the target surface. In general terms, this is how the workflow is built, and now it is worth considering it in more detail.
Following these simple rules will help you use the capabilities of the spray gun to the maximum and get a carefully painted and uniform surface of the walls or ceiling in your home.
Questions about how to paint from a spray gun are usually asked by beginners. This is due to the fact that the device is quite simple, and just a couple of hours of practice will be enough to master the working method.
And yet it is better to start finishing with the use of sprayers after theoretical preparation, an important stage in which will be the study of this article.
Preparing for work
The success of painting will largely depend on the working conditions and the condition of the target surface. Initially, comprehensive surface preparation is performed with cleaning, removal of fat spots and traces of corrosion. It is advisable to make a light leveling with abrasives. All dust, dirt and flaking elements of the old finish must be removed.
Next, go to the organization of working conditions. If painting is planned indoors, it is necessary to ensure the operation of the ventilation system or other equipment that will provide air circulation.
When the optimal conditions for painting procedures are created, you can start creating a solution. In each case, the rules for its preparation will be different, depending on the type of mixture and the application surface.
But the most important thing is to take into account that the mixture is in principle allowed to be used by a specific spray gun. The manufacturers themselves, as a rule, recommend using the most common alkyd, acrylic, oil and water-based compositions with enamels.
Assembling and configuring the tool
First, you should decide on the choice of a suitable nozzle. Some models come with a set of nozzles of different calibers, and the design of others allows for the adjustment of the nozzle.
For example, there are special flat-jet nozzles for spot processing, which provide targeted coloring of small objects. The nozzle is installed together with the mixture feed screw, after which the nuts are tightened. In the setting part, it is important to correctly correlate the optimal pressure indicators for the gun.
How to use the spray gun so that it can withstand a sufficient load when working with solvents and viscous mixtures? To do this, you need to use the appropriate accessories – for example, for sufficient resistance to solvents, it is recommended to use a compressor hose that can withstand up to 10 atm.
At the final stage, the tank is connected. It is also desirable to integrate special filters for oil and moisture separation into the transition unit of the fitting.
How to use an electric spray gun?
The spray gun with an electric motor has several advantages that explain its popularity in the household sphere. Firstly, such devices are inexpensive, and secondly, they require minimal organizational efforts in operation.
After assembling and refueling the tool, it will be enough to connect it to the network to get started. And here the first drawback of such models is revealed in the form of dependence on the outlet. On average, 3-5 m is the standard length of the cord.
Today, there are also battery models for street use, but the presence of a battery in the composition of the gun makes the already not light design heavier.
As for the working process itself, key attention is paid to the safety of the electric spray gun. How to use the tool correctly to eliminate the threat of damage to electrical components? Such sprayers are afraid of moisture, volatile and flammable substances.
It is also not recommended to use the device in dusty places. In general, working with electric spray guns, you should not expect high-quality surface treatment. These solutions are purely for infrequent work in the household, in the country or in the garage.
How to work?
All operations that are performed before the start of painting can be divided into two groups: preparation of the object and pre-treatment of the painted surfaces themselves.
Let’s analyze both of these aspects in detail:
- First, you need to remove all the furniture from the room that will be processed. If this is not possible, then bulky structures should be completely covered with polyethylene.
- The floor is covered with a film or wrapping paper. In principle, old newspapers will also work, but it is advisable to glue them together with tape, otherwise, they will disperse in the most inappropriate place.
- Before painting with an electric spray gun or a device with a separate compressor, check the presence of voltage in the network. It is necessary to turn off the most energy-intensive devices, otherwise there is a risk that when working with a powerful spray gun, the plugs will “fly out”.
Please note! This problem is particularly acute in old buildings, the wiring of which is not designed for modern loads.
Next, we turn to surface treatment:
- For walls and ceilings, it is necessary to carry out a full cycle of preparation for painting. Surfaces are cleaned and dedusted, primed, plastered, putty and primed again. As a result, we should have a smooth and sufficiently strong base with an acceptable level of adhesion to paint and varnish materials.
- With wooden surfaces (paneling, fences, furniture) , too, you need to tinker. Before painting a tree with a spray gun, it must be sanded, treated with putty, thoroughly dried and sanded with sandpaper No. 100. Finally, the wooden parts are primed with a polymer penetrating composition, which must necessarily include an antiseptic.
Wood putty before painting
- We clean the metal from rusty flakes and oxide deposits. The cleaned surface is degreased and covered with a special alkyd-based primer.
Advice! If the corrosion has gone too far, it makes sense to use rust modifiers. They bind the oxidized metal and convert it into an inert form.
Only after we have carried out all the preparatory activities with our own hands, you can take up the spray gun.
Applying paint in a mechanized way
The advantage of spray guns is their ease of use.
In fact, everyone can handle the device, but some secrets still need to be learned – then the result will be even better than you expected.
- The instructions recommend that you start working with the preparation of paint. As a rule, spray guns are designed to use more liquid pigments, and therefore the compositions in the cans need to be diluted.
- Before starting the dilution, we filter the paint qualitatively. Lumps that may be contained in the binder do not pose a threat to the brush or roller, but they can clog the nozzle of the sprayer in no time.
- Then we add a solvent to the paint (for water-dispersed or water-emulsion compositions, this will be water, for other pigments – organic compounds, drying oils, etc.) and mix the material thoroughly. The drill head can be used, but the speed should be set lower to minimize the amount of splashes.
Tips for device position
- The prepared paint of the desired consistency is poured into the container of the spray gun, which is attached to the device itself.
- We perform a test pass, checking how the paint falls. It is better to do this on a sheet of cardboard or in the corner of the surface to be treated, because when the air passes, the nozzle will necessarily “spit”.
- If the design of the device provides for this, we configure the mode of its operation. As a rule, the pressure intensity can be adjusted (for most compositions, 8 atmospheres will be enough) and the flow configuration.
- Next, apply the paint, treating the surface from top to bottom. It is not necessary to lay a thick layer of pigment — in one pass, you will still not be able to color the object qualitatively, but drops and streaks will be required.
- After the surface dries, we perform a second pass, moving in a perpendicular direction. We repeat the operations until we reach the desired result.
Advice! After completing the work, do not forget to disassemble and wash the device. Believe me, cleaning the insides of the spray gun from dried paint is a dubious pleasure!
How to use a pneumatic spray gun?
Devices with pneumatics work on the force of compressed air, which under pressure throws out paint particles. In terms of processing quality and convenience, this is the best solution in the class of spray guns.
But, working with such a gun requires serious organization. Initially, auxiliary equipment is prepared, including a compressor with a receiver. Next, the compressed air source is connected to the spray gun by means of a hose, after which a tank with a spray nozzle is included in the design.
How to use a spray gun with a compressor to achieve a high-quality result? Such devices themselves are quite maneuverable and ergonomic, so the accuracy of painting with the proper skills, in any case, will be guaranteed.
Another thing is that there are some nuances in the very technique of working with a gun, which, however, can also be attributed to electric spray guns.
Stage of preparatory work
If you use a dye that contains an organic solvent, then an acrid smell and explosive fumes appear in the room. In places with poor ventilation, water-based paint is used for painting.
Conditions for high-quality dye application:
- availability of good ventilation;
- the airflow should move behind the dye, carry away the pungent smell. If vortices appear around the place of painting, then the airflow should not knock down the flame of the paint;
- painting with a spray gun on the street is carried out in calm weather, so that dirt and dust do not stick;
- the temperature range for operation is 15-30 degrees, the humidity is not more than 55%;
- good lighting in the room is necessary to control the quality of the application of KM;
- the place of painting should not be cluttered.
Dye preparation stage
Functions of the airflow that goes through the paint sprayer:
- the paint is sprayed into small droplets-particles;
- the flame of the paint reaches the surface.
Therefore, the question may arise as to how to paint the surface with a spray gun with viscous dyes (alkyd enamels, latex composition). Accessories are added – a compressor hose, which is designed for 10 atm. Before using the spray gun with a compressor, the viscous compositions are diluted. At the same time, it is stronger than water-based KM.
Determination of the desired consistency of the dye:
- the tank is filled with KM;
- the airflow and the amount of paint output is set to the maximum;
- the flame width is also the maximum;
- a test application of paint on a small area of the surface is performed;
- the quality of the coating is being studied;
- if spray painting takes place in large drops, then the paint is diluted with a solvent (topped up with 5%). The solvent is added until the flame escapes from the nozzle;
- at the same time, the width of the torch, the flow of KM is adjusted;
- if the desired flame is obtained at the output, then the ratio of proportions is fixed. The data is compared with the manufacturer’s recommendations on how to properly paint with a spray gun with the selected type of coloring material.
- compositions with a water base are diluted with water in an amount of no more than 10%. This ensures high-quality application of the material;
- compositions with organic solvents are diluted by 50%, the indicator is not exceeded;
Spray painting can be improved if a nozzle with a larger diameter is installed.
Application of the spray gun
Before painting with a spray gun, the surface is divided into zones. The masters recommend that they be labeled “A”, ” B ” or “1”, ” 2 ” and further.
Zone “A” or ” 1 ” is the main area.
- The zones are colored in reverse order.
- The flame is released from the nozzle at the edge of the staining area. At this point, the trigger of the gun is pulled. You can’t do this from the center of the plot.
- The gun is held at the same distance from the surface (10 cm), at a right angle.
- You can not make an arc-shaped movement with your hand.
- The hand with the gun moves in a straight line, from the edge to the edge of the zone.
- To paint a wooden fence with a spray gun, you need to move the strip in the direction of the fibers.
- The edge of the next strip is superimposed on the previous one by 5 cm.
- Under oblique lighting, the quality of the paint application is checked.
- The area with the defect is quickly painted over. The gun moves to the problem area faster than the hand normally moves.
- The vertical plane is painted with several thin layers. If a thick layer is applied, there may be smudges.
General tips along the way
The device should be held strictly perpendicular to the working surface, observing a distance of 5-10 cm. The greater the load and power of the spray gun, the further you can retreat, but also a fraction of the paint will be wasted.
How to use the spray gun correctly to get a smooth coating? Movement when painting should be smooth up and down and from left to right. Possible gaps should be covered with small overlaps up to 5 cm.
It is important to keep in mind that as you move away from the center of the spray to the edges, the saturation of the flow decreases, so in the transition areas, the coating compensation must be performed.
Also, do not ignore the possibilities for adjusting the flow force – different surface treatment modes will make the process more efficient and effective.
Possible tool malfunctions
Although outwardly the spray gun looks quite simple, several important processes are implemented in the course of work, which are sensitive even to minor errors of the painter.
In particular, the use of too thick paint can lead to clogging of the device, so it is often necessary to pre-dilute the composition – by 10-15 %. The formation of too thick “fog” also indicates problems. Again, this means either damage to the nozzle with a falling nozzle, or non-compliance with the standard distance to the paint surface.
To avoid these and other problems, you should regularly clean the device, check the attachment points of its parts and do not forget about the instructions for use for a specific model.